Duties and responsibilities of the Language Commissioner
The Language Commissioner is responsible to ensure the functioning of the Office. He or she manages the Office, its staff and budget and proposes the annual budget of the Office for approval to the Office of the PrimeMinister. The Language Commissioner is responsible to advise the Government and institutions under the jurisdiction of the Office regarding the adoption and implementation of measures ensuring the equal use and status of the official languages, the use of official languages and languages in official use of municipalities and the protection, preservation and promotion of the languages of communities whose language is not is an official language. The Language Commissioner shall issue recommendations to central and municipal institutions to encourage, support and offer long-term, sustainable, structural, solutions and a policy of incentives for the use of official languages in the Republic of Kosovo.
These recommendations shall include but are not limited to the following:
- Access and promotion of official languages and other community languages in pre-university education and higher education;
- Conduct of surveys and research on linguistic capacities of civil servants;
- Provision of certified in-service multi-lingual training for civil servants in cooperation with the Kosovo Institute for Public Administration, and salary incentives for civil servants with working knowledge of all the official languages;
- Measures for the provision of in service training for interpreters and translators;
- Measures for the provision of professional certification and academic programs for interpreters and translators;
- Promoting quality control systems to ensure accurate language translation and interpretation services;
- Recommendations regarding improved recruitment policies and salary incentives enhancing the use of official languages and other community languages into the public service;
- Cooperation with the Ministry responsible for Education, Science and Technology, the Ministry responsible for Communities and Return and the Ministry responsible for Public Administration to develop lessons and training modules for communicating language rights and community rights in schools and in the public administration.
The Language Commissioner shall advise institutions under its jurisdiction regarding the development of necessary capacities for the implementation of the Law, including ensuring that an adequate number of their staff is qualified and competent to provide services in the official languages of the Republic of Kosovo, and, where applicable, official languages of municipalities and languages in official use of municipalities.
The Language Commissioner may cooperate and promote exchange of best practices with foreign institutions of the same nature as the Office, and with national and foreign academic institutions that may contribute to enhance the implementation of the Law and the knowledge and protection of official and other community languages of the Republic of Kosovo throughout its institutions.
The Language Commissioner shall ensure that the Office submits bi-annual reports to the Board and annual reports to the Government and the Assembly of Kosovo. These reports shall evaluate the implementation of the Law and of this Regulation.
The Language Commissioner is responsible for spending the budget of the Office and provides full cooperation to audits conducted in relation to the management and spending of the budget of the Office.